About Me

My photo
Hello! I am Diana, wife to Ted. We are the parents to one miraculous 6-year-old little princess. Aside from my daughter my earthly passions include home-cooking at an intermediate level, Music, knitting, photography, learning Adobe Photoshop, digital scrapbooking, and online social networking.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

OOOPs, I did it again...

Except that it wasn't particularly by accident and there were no plaid mini-skirts or bobby-socks involved. I would tell you to go back and re-read my posts on violet & dandelion jelly and re-imagine it all back in purple again...except that lilac jelly does not turn purple the way violet jelly does, it turns a sort of amber color. That's right, yet another abundant spring flower that I found out could be made into that sweet, jiggly sandwich spread. How could I resist? I made 4 large jars of it, it tastes fantastic, and I didn't die from eating it, so that's a plus.

Here is a recap of the recipe that has worked for all three incarnations of flower jelly thus far:

2 heaping cups of edible flower blossoms

2 cups boiling water

4 cups white sugar

1 packet of certo liquid pectin


Wash and de-stem blossoms, place in a glass bowl. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over blossoms, cover and let infuse (in the fridge) for 24 hours.

Using cheesecloth, strain the infusion into a large sauce pan and mix with 4 cups of sugar. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, add liquid pectin, and boil for 2 minutes more. Can it.

For more details on canning it read my entry on making Wild Violet Jelly from May 2008: Violet, You're Turning Violet, Violet! Thanks for reading!

Diana, The Ivy Kitchen

P.S. Please note, in my left sidebar, that we are all still praying for Baby Avianna, and ask that you do the same. I will post updates as I get them. Thank-you.

P.S.S If I don't seem very forthcoming with the blog entries recently, it is due to my unexpected bout with Shingles...craziness...but I will try to go into my cooking photo archives (yes they exist) and post some recipes I have done in the past few months!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

So yummy you rock at this!

Nea.Leah said...

I am going to drive up to where you live thief your homemade jelly nd run away....hehehehehe.
You have such talent woman. Have you ever thought about selling it during the season?? Keep up the great work!!

Gina said...

You are just way too creative lady, JAR THOSE UP AND SELL THEM! Diana's Jellies!!

Nina said...

You are AMAZING!!! I agree with Gina... you could sell them... I buy some for sure!! I wonder if you can make something like that but in rose petals.

RYC- No, I didn't wrote that poem. I loved the poem so I wrote in my blog. Joel got it from school.

Anonymous said...

Yum, there is nothing better than homemade jellies! You should start selling them. I know I'd want one!:)